Chocolate Bark with Pistachios & Dried Cherries
About 4 dozen pieces | Active Time: 40 minutes | Total Time: 1 hour
3/4 cup roasted, shelled pistachios, (3 ounces), coarsely chopped
3/4 cup dried cherries, or dried cranberries
1 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
24 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped, divided
1. Line the bottom and sides of a jelly-roll pan or baking sheet with foil. (Take care to avoid wrinkles.) Toss pistachios with cherries (or cranberries) in a medium bowl. Divide the mixture in half; stir orange zest into 1 portion.
2. Melt 18 ounces chocolate in a double boiler over hot water. (Alternatively, microwave on low in 30-second bursts.) Stir often with a rubber spatula so it melts evenly.
3. Remove the top and wipe dry (or remove the bowl from the microwave). Stir in the remaining 6 ounces chocolate, in 2 additions, until thoroughly melted and smooth.
4. Add the pistachio mixture containing the orange zest to the chocolate; stir to mix well. Working quickly, scrape the chocolate onto the prepared pan, spreading it to an even 1/4-inch thickness with a rubber spatula. Sprinkle the remaining pistachio mixture on top; gently press it into the chocolate with your fingertips. Refrigerate, uncovered, just until set, about 20 minutes.
5. Invert the pan on to a large cutting board. Remove the pan and peel off the foil. Using the tip of a sharp knife, score the chocolate lengthwise with 6 parallel lines. Break bark along the score lines. Break the strips of bark into 2- to 3-inch chunks.
Nutrition Per piece : 79 Calories; 5 g Fat; 2 g Sat; 0 g Mono; 0 mg Cholesterol; 11 g Carbohydrates; 1 g Protein; 2 g Fiber; 0 mg Sodium; 26 mg Potassium
1 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 1 fat
Tips & Notes
Make Ahead Tip: Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
From Eating Well: Fall 2003